The MNL is guided by a Vision Statement and Mandate:
Vision Statement: The purpose of the MNL is to assist communities in their endeavour to achieve and sustain strong and effective local government, thereby improving the quality of life for all the people of this province.
- To provide programs and services of common interest to the members;
- To provide a united approach on issues affecting local governance;
- To advance the ambitions and goals of its member communities by developing a shared common vision of the future;
- To effectively serve as local government spokesperson; and
- To represent its members in matters affecting them or the welfare of their communities; and to further the establishment of responsible government at the local level.